Excellence in Teaching Awards
The Virginia Section of the American Chemical Society supports K – 12 science education in our region by awarding three Excellence in Teaching awards each year.
- The Franklin D. Kizer Distinguished High School Chemistry Teacher Award is given to a teacher deserving recognition for excellence in teaching chemistry.
- The Distinguished Middle School Science Teacher Award is presented to an outstanding middle school teacher who teaches the equivalent of 8th grade physical science with some chemistry.
- The Distinguished Elementary School Science Teacher Award is given to an elementary teacher who deserves recognition for excellent science instruction.
The teaching awards are traditionally presented at our local meeting in mid September.
The Virginia Section continues to accept nominations for these teaching awards. A candidate may be nominated by their principal, science specialist, or other individual who is qualified to describe the teaching effectiveness of the candidate.
Please send completed nomination forms to Larry White by April 15th.
THE R. GERALD BASS AWARD FOR EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE
The Virginia Section has created a new award to honor outstanding members of the Section who have made exceptional contributions to the Section over an extended period of time. The award was named the R. Gerald Bass Award for Exceptional Service in honor of Dr. R. Gerald Bass, who has been an active member of the Virginia Section for over 57 years. Jerry served on the Executive Committee for the Section from 1975 until his retirement at the end of 2013. At the national level, he served the ACS as a councilor for 22 years and was named an ACS Fellow in 2015. The first recipient of the R. Gerald Bass Award for Exceptional Service will be named at the Centennial Gala on October 24, 2015.
The first recipient of this award was Dr. R. Gerald Bass in 2011
The second recipient of this award was Dr. James Beck
The third recipient of this award was Dr. Ann Sullivan in 2020 Ann Sullivan’s presentation and a Sullivan’s Tribute Book
DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS
The Virginia Section established its Distinguished Service Award in 1948. The award is presented annually to a member of the Virginia Section who has provided outstanding service to the Section and to the chemistry profession. Sixty-eight members of the Section have received the Distinguished Service Award.
List of Awardees – Updated 2015
VIRGINIA SECTION INDUSTRIAL AND SPECIAL AWARDS
In 1997, the Virginia Section began presenting various industrial awards. These are given to individuals, groups, and companies for different aspects of industrial chemistry. Categories presented to date include The Outstanding Innovator Award, The Outstanding Innovation Award, The Environmentally Significant Products Award, The Process Engineering Award, The Team Innovation Award, The Industrial Leadership Award, and The Excellence in Industrial Analytical Chemistry Award. In 2009, the Section presented the first Distinguished Research Award.
INDUSTRIAL AND SPECIAL AWARDS
The Outstanding Innovator Award. This is the most prestigious of the industrial
- innovation awards presented to an individual. The award is given to an individualThe Outstanding Innovator Award. This is the most prestigious of the industrial innovation awards presented to an individual. The award is given to an individual whose innovation and industrial leadership in technology has made a contribution to the state, the community, and the local economy.
- whose innovation and industrial leadership in technology has made a contribution
- The Industrial Innovation Award. This award is given to an individual whose invention has resulted in a commercial product or a new or improved process for making a commercial product.
- The Environmentally Significant Product Award. This award recognizes individuals or teams for the development of a novel process or commercial product that has contributed to the improvement of the environment.
- The Process Engineering Award. This award is given for creative applications of analytical methods for process control that are of major importance to a commercial process.
- The Team Innovation Award. This award is given to several individuals whose creative innovations have contributed to the commercial success of their company and consequently to the good of the community.
- The Industrial Leadership Award. This award is given to an individual who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in research and development involving chemistry.
- The Distinguished Research Award. This award is given to a member of the Virginia Section whose research has made significant contributions in advancing knowledge in his or her field of research.
- The Excellence in Industrial Analytical Chemistry Award. This award is given to a member of the Virginia Section whose has made significant contributions in the use of analytical chemistry in an industrial environment.
The List of individuals who have received one of the above awards are listed in
this pdf. Updated 2016
Please submit the nomination form, a nominating cover letter with a detailed description of the research to be recognized (1000 word maximum but sufficient for understanding of the research or invention and its relevance), any pertinent references and patents, biographical sketch of the nominee(s), and any materials that relate to your nominee(s) or his/her product (brochures, reports, articles, etc.)
You can email a scanned copy of the nomination documents to: email@example.com
If you wish to submit paper copies of the document, please mail them to:
Dr. Yezdi B. Pithawalla
Altria Client Services
Center for Research & Technology
601 E. Jackson Street
Richmond, VA 23219