History of the Virginia Local Section
Links to the subpages under History
In 1990, the Virginia Section of The American Chemical Society celebrated its seventy-fifth anniversary. The Section received its charter on April 9, 1915. The Virginia Charter was signed by President Charles H. Herty and Secretary Charles L. Parsons. At present, the Virginia Section represents over 1400 chemists from industry, academia and government. The service region is diverse from the northwestern corner of the state to the eastern North Carolina border with most of the meetings occuring in or around the Richmond metropolitian area. We strive, however, to reach all chemists within our region and welcome suggestions for how to better serve our members. The Virginia Section History from 1907 to 1990 is available as an Adobe file. The History of the section from 1990 has been published randomly in the Section News of the The Bulletin over the last few years.
The original territory covered by the Virginia Section included all counties in Virginia except Alexandria (which is not a county but is in Fairfax County). In 1931, twelve counties in Southwest Virginia became the Virginia Blue Ridge Section (shown in grey above) and in 1944, thirteen counties in Southeast Virginia became the Hampton Roads Section (shown in tan above). The last adjustment of the Section’s boundaries was in 2008 when Loudoun County was removed and Amelia, Fauquier, and Prince William Counties were added.
Documents created for the 100th Anniversary Gala